Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Inspiration



From Robert Frank's "The Americans" This piece of writing always charged me up the first time I saw it back in school. Not only did I become an instant fan of Jack Kerouac from this piece, but it always made me realize that there is more than one way to experience photographs. That you can actually FEEL a photograph, and not just look at it, talk about it, theorize about it.

Frank's "The Americans" is on tour right now and is at the Met in NYC until January 2010. I know I will be making the trip down to the city for it. I have never seen any of Frank's work in person, and I hope that same "crazy feeling" bubbles right up in me...

Top image: Kerouac's hand typed first draft of the intro to "The Americans"
Credits: The New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox and Tilden Foundations, The Henry W. and Albert A. Berg Collection of English and American Literature. Reprinted by permission of John Sampas, Estate of Jack Kerouac.

Bottom: "Los Angeles, 1956" One of my favorites from the book

No comments:

Post a Comment